The Neighborhood House Charter School is an award winning full service urban public charter school serving 400 students in Pre-K through 8th grade in the Dorchester neighborhood of Boston. Our low-income and special education populations mirror those of the Boston Public Schools (75% and 15% respectively) and our results have been outstanding – proving that with a committed, hard-working, well-supported staff and a purposeful mission, urban schools can enable students to experience tremendous academic and personal success.
Repeatedly named as Commendation School by Governor Patrick
Winner Champions of Art Education Award and Nominated for the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts’ Schools of Distinction in Arts Education
NHCS developed the academic supports and interventions City Year uses for their national "whole school whole child" program
NHCS is currently involved as a partner in the “turnaround” effort of the Boston Public Harbor Pilot School.
Potential Opening for 2012-2013:
K1-8 Physical Education Teacher
• Direct and implement the school’s physical education program
• Develop, write and refine innovative curriculum to instruct classes of 10+ students in grades K1-8.
• Direct and implement the school’s health and sex education program in collaboration
with the school nurse
• Manage and coordinate seasonal intra-mural sports for Middle School students grades 6-8
• Develop and maintain positive relationships with the students’ teachers, school administrators,
and parents on an on-going basis.
• Institute a safety and sportsmanship policy.
• Assist students with conflicts and encourage a nonviolent approach to resolve issues.
• Attend school meetings, seminars and training as scheduled.
• Provide positive role modeling to the students.
• Perform other functions as assigned.
Passionate commitment to urban education
Belief that every child can be successful, no matter what their background
Belief that education and hard work are the keys to life success
Belief that the best learning happens through experiences that are both rich and structured
Belief that problems are hurdles not roadblocks and that there is a solution if you are willing to work harder, smarter, and more creatively
Belief that teachers must learn and influence social emotional strengths of all children in and out of the classroom
Desire to continually reflect and grow as an educator through professional development, peer feedback, and observation
Belief in a school community where students, families, teachers, and school leaders demonstrate accountability, flexibility, humor, effort, responsibility, respect, and hope
Knowledge and Skills:
Mastery of subject knowledge
Proven ability to manage a classroom
Knowledge of the stages of child development
Experience and Certification: Ideal candidates will have at least 2 years of experience teaching in an urban school. Ideal candidates will have valid MA certification in ELL or Reading or both
As an equal opportunity employer, Neighborhood House Charter School hires without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Send resume and cover letter to Human Resources, NHCS, 21 Queen Street, Dorchester, MA, 02122 or via email to email@example.com
Type of position:
Neighborhood House Charter School
21 Queen Street