AmeriCorps School Counselor
• MUST BE ENROLLED AT SPRINGFIELD COLLEGE FULL TIME
• ***Preferred candidates are GRADUATE STUDENTS IN THE SCHOOL GUIDANCE OR SOCIAL WORK PROGRAM. Candidates in other graduate counseling programs or who have extensive counseling background or licensure will also be considered.
• Half-time Position: 900 hours, approximately 20-23 hours per week
• MUST be available to serve from August 26, 2012, to June 20, 2013
• MUST be 18 years old and a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident
Applications are available in the Career Center, in the AmeriCorps Program Office, and on the Springfield College AmeriCorps Web site (Offices/Services>AmeriCorps Program)
POSITIONS AVAILABLE: 18
The Springfield College Student Success Corps recruits 78 AmeriCorps members to support students in the Springfield Public Schools through academic coaching, counseling, literacy instruction, health and wellness education, and volunteer recruitment.
AmeriCorps SCHOOL COUNSELORS will serve in a Springfield public middle school or high school. School Counselors must be enrolled in the graduate School Guidance or Social Work program, or have extensive counseling experience. Students from programs such as Mental Health Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy, and Art Therapy also may be considered.
School Counselors serve with a
guidance/adjustment counselor or school social worker, providing one-on-one and group counseling students with social-emotional and behavioral issues who are at risk of dropping out. The School Counselors will serve as part of a team of Counselors and Academic Coaches to implement attendance interventions, identify resources for students with social-emotional and behavioral issues, foster academic success, and support college and career awareness and preparation.
As members of the AmeriCorps Program, School Counselors are also required to:
• attend AmeriCorps orientation.
• attend a monthly member meeting.
• attend the midyear training.
• attend member development events.
• maintain good academic standing.
• assist with Humanics in Action Day.
• complete a team service project.
• participate in Opening Day, the annual kick-off of the AmeriCorps service year.
• submit weekly journal entries.
• Living Allowance: Half-time members will receive a living allowance of up to $6,050.
• Education Award: Upon successful completion of 900 hours of service, half-time members will receive a $2,775 Education Award from the Corporation for National and Community Service. This voucher can be applied toward qualified student loans or future tuition and is valid for seven years.
• Worker’s Compensation: In the event of injury during service, members are eligible for Worker’s Compensation.
• Loan Forbearance/Interest Accrual: AmeriCorps members may request forbearance on qualified student loans, postponing their loan payments during the term of service. The National Service Trust will repay a portion of the interest accrued on qualified loans during the term of service.
Please note that this position is contingent on continued funding from the Massachusetts Service Alliance and the Corporation for National and Community Service.
This position is also contingent on clearing an FBI Criminal History Check and a criminal history check in Massachusetts. All applicant names also will be vetted through the National Sex Offender Registry.
Springfield College is committed to providing equal educational opportunity and full participation in college programs and activities for persons with disabilities. Springfield College does not discriminate in admissions or employment policies and practices on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, age, color, religion, national origin, disability or status as a veteran.
Reasonable accommodations are provided for persons with documented disabilities on the basis of need. Reasonable accommodations are available for applicants during the interview process and for members at their service sites.
The Springfield College AmeriCorps Program is supported in part by the Massachusetts Service Alliance and the Corporation for National and Community Service.
Type of position:
Select a degree
Select a major
Springfield College - AmeriCorps
263 Alden Street, Richard B. Flynn Campus Union