Mental Health Worker I C4
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Incumbents provide direct care services to adult psychiatric patients; assist in the implementation of habilitative, behavioral and recreational programs; perform patient related housekeeping duties; provide task supervision; maintain patient records; accompany patients to appointments; provide leisure activities and perform related work as required.
DETAILED STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
1. Provides direct care services in the activities of daily living by instructing and/or assisting patients in feeding, bathing, toileting, dressing, clothing maintenance, oral and physical hygiene, self preservation, etc. to ensure daily
needs, dignity and human rights of the patients are met.
2. Assist in the implementation of the individual treatment plan by discussing and reporting observations regarding patient behavior, needs, desires or problems to ensure consistency of care.
3. Works effectively with other staff to better serve patient needs, promoting a non-threatening, therapeutic milieu.
4. Practices Principals of NVSD, including controlled takedown, Restraint/Seclusion when necessary to provide a safe environment.
5. Performs patient related housekeeping duties as needed, observing and reporting need for maintenance repairs to ensure a clean safe environment for patients.
6. Documents in MIS including but not limited to progress notes, incident reports, restraint/seclusion forms, to provide communication regarding patient progress.
7. Accompanies patients to appointments, programs and treatment areas, assists professional or medical staff in providing services to patients (i.e. vital signs)
to insure health needs of the patients are being met.
8. Provides leisure activities for patients during unstructured time to promote and enhance patient social skills.
9. Instructs patients in fire safety and preservation skills to ensure their safety in an emergency situation.
10. Attends meetings and trainings to improve knowledge and skills to be aware of and stay informed of hospital and departmental policies and procedures as well as HCFA
and JCAHO regulations to provide a safe therapeutic environment.
11. Actively involved in the Improved Operational Performance process at both unit and hospital wide level to promote improved patient care.
12. May be required to provide "specialized" services to patients in the hospital or at other locations in order to provide support and ensure safety.
13. Works with other staff in the planning and the implementation of therapeutic and educational programs for the patients and their families to provide an opportunity for learning and meeting of individual patient needs.
14. Performs other related duties as assigned.
F/T 40 Hour - 3rd Shift Position: 11:15PM-7:15AM
Days Off: Monday and Tuesday of each week
Qualifications: MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS: None.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: None.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED AT HIRE:
Ability to work effectively with the professional and non-professional staff.
Ability to deal therapeutically and effectively with patients and their families.
Ability to receive and respond effectively to classroom and on-the-job training.
Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions effectively.
Ability to develop and maintain an empathetic attitude toward the mentally ill.
Ability to observe and record patient behavioral reaction and changes in usual patterns.
Ability to acquire knowledge of the dynamics and treatment of mental illness after training and to apply to daily work assignments.
A criminal background check will be completed on the recommended candidate as required by the regulations set forth by the Executive Office of Health and Human Services prior to the candidate being hired. For more information, please visit http://www.mass.gov/hhs/cori
This is a Civil Service position. As applicable, preference for this position will be given to those candidates who are eligible for Civil Service/ConTest Reinstatement/Reemployment or to those candidates who have passed the civil service examination for this job title, and who respond to the job certification that was recently issued for this location and/or to employees laid off or bumped from this title who are eligible for recall, and in accordance with Article 14 or applicable Collective bargaining requirements.
How To Apply:
Health Office of Human Resources
Attn: Joyce Robito
365 East St.
Tewksbury, MA 01876
Customer Service: 978-851-7321 X2155
PLEASE INDICATE POSTING #J33973 ON ALL CORRESPONDING DOCUMENTS
IF APPLYING FOR MULTIPLE POSITIONS, YOU MUST SEND A SEPARATE COVER LETTER AND RESUME FOR THAT POSITION
Agency Web Address:
Type of position:
Human Services (UG)
Human Resources Office
Department of Mental Health
PO Box 4007