SUPERVISOR:Director of Community Relations
BASIC PURPOSE: The Volunteer Coordinator develops, implements and oversees a robust volunteer program. The primary focuses are creating, recruiting, and retaining volunteer opportunities for individuals and groups on an as needed and consistent basis for the organization. The position requires creating, monthly opportunities to present Riverside’s mission in action and inspire area schools, retirement communities, civic and religious groups, and the like, to get involved with volunteering. The Volunteer Coordinator oversees implementing positive communications to constituents through phone, email and social media.
PHYSICAL & EMOTIONAL REQUIREMENTS: The Volunteer Coordinator is regularly required to sit or stand, and move about the facility; required to be able to read documents and computer screens.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: There are many duties which comprise the full range of staff responsibilities embodied in the Volunteer Coordinator position. They are not listed in order of priority.
1. Work with Riverside staff and managers to create viable volunteer opportunities.
2. Coordinate all outreach programs to attract volunteers, community good-will and promote understanding of Riverside’s role in the community.
3. Organize efforts that capitalize on community service programs and interests through area schools, colleges, the business, civic and religious community is a primary focus.
4. Develop and implement creative recruitment volunteer strategies for marketing materials for print, local media outlets and social media.
5. Create and maintain accurate volunteer contact information, job descriptions, policies, procedures and standards of service.
6. Act as primary contact in coordination with staff. Interview, place and monitor volunteer s.
7. Provide ongoing support for volunteers.
8. In cooperation with the Director of Community Relations, coordinate volunteer run projects in support of Riverside’s mission, including annual appeal, prospect mailings, expanded programming, annual maintenance projects, etc.
9. Be available for coordination of special events, presentations and “tabling” during regular business hours as well as evening and weekends.
10. Have valid driver’s license as well as registered, insured, and inspected passenger vehicle for travel as required and assigned.
11. Perform other duties which are required and assigned.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: The Volunteer Coordinator reports to the Director of Community Relations.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Normal office conditions. There are occasions when the Volunteer Coordinator will work offsite in an inside or outside location.
SAFETY REQUIREMENTS: Riverside Industries, Inc. takes safety & health issues very seriously. All staff must remain vigilant to all safety & health issues pertaining to participants & ensure safety & health standards prescribed by regulations, company policy, & job trainings.
MINIMUM EDUCATION: Associate’s Degree in a related field
PREFERRED EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree in a related field
SUBSTITUTION FOR EDUCATION: A combination of education and experience may be substituted for degree
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE: One year experience in volunteer coordination, development, community relations, or marketing. Education may be substituted for a portion of experience.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: Two years’ experience in volunteer coordination, development, community relations or marketing, specifically in the human service or non-profit sector.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES: This position requires a wide range of community outreach and organizing skills; effective verbal and written communication skills reaching varying audiences; ability to work independently and a team member; ability to use multiple mediums including social media;
strong technology and computer skills including proficiency in MS Office; must be a self-starter and able to work with little supervision; knowledge of Western MA and its cultures and perspectives is a plus.
Type of position:
Human Services (UG)
Riverside Industries, Inc.
1 Cottage Street