Social Editor, Yahoo! Lifestyles
Job Number: 1344142
Primary Location: United States-California-Santa Monica
Yahoo! Lifestyles is looking for a hard-charging, forward-thinking digital journalist to be its Social Editor. The primary function will be managing Yahoo! Lifestyles’s top social accounts while leading all social efforts across Yahoo! Lifestyles as part of the editorial team.
The goals here are at least four-fold: 1) To engage Yahoo! users – both current and prospective – where they are. 2) To integrate social content and experiences in ways that improve the user experience. 3) To educate Yahoo! Lifestyles producers on using social in ways that better inform, improve and distribute our journalism. 4) To drive more traffic from social platforms to Yahoo!.
Orchestrating this effort will be a strong Social Editor who not only understands how users discover, interact with, consume and share content socially, but also how these behaviors and platforms evolve over time. We need a person who can effectively do the day-to-day work while strategically thinking about the bigger picture. This person should be an exceptional communicator within Yahoo! as well as a participant in the larger conversation outside of it.
It should be noted that a secondary function of this role is to serve as the SEO and off-network publishing lead for Yahoo! Lifestyles. This aligns with the aforementioned goals of engaging users where they are and encouraging content discovery outside of the Yahoo! network. The ideal candidate will possess some level of expertise in the fields of SEO, newsletters, alerts, etc.
· 2+ years of digital lifestyles journalism experience
· Passion for digital journalism, especially social media
· Demonstrable success with brand-building social sites/apps (Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Google+, Instagram, etc.)
· Proven success with niche social sites, boards and forums to drive traffic (Reddit, Stumbleupon, wikis, etc.)
· Experience with monitoring, breaking and curating news in real time through social media
· Experience gathering and analyzing metrics, preferably social metrics
· Experience editing/producing social-friendly multimedia (photos, infographics, video, etc.)
· Experience working with product, sales and marketing teams
· Excellence in writing, editing and general communication
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Excel and PowerPoint
· Ability to manage time effectively and willingness to work all hours some of the time
· Desire to collaborate within the team, across teams and even outside of the organization
· Ability to think through fast-paced breaking news situations and act prudently without making mistakes
· Understanding and overall engagement with how technology and the Internet are changing media
· Ability to quickly investigate, test out and demo social media apps and tools
· Ability to work independently as well as collaborate with teams
· 2 years of digital lifestyle journalism experience
· Bachelors degree, preferably in a journalism related degree
· Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite of products
· Experience using CMS systems
Apply online: http://us.careers.yahoo.com/
Type of position:
701 First Avenue